Basic of Python programming through Hydrology
Through this summer school you will learn the first steps of programming in the Python programming language, through interesting examples from Hydrology.
Teacher: DSc Karlo Leskovar
Target group: technical college students, high school seniors, anyone who wants to start programming
The goal of this summer school is to introduce students to the basics of Python programming and to provide a framework on how to easily replace spreadsheet programs. It will be shown how to load, analyse and print the actual hydrological data in a diagram. In addition, a basic prediction model based on linear regression, polynomial regression, the K-nearest neighbours method, and Decision-Tree methods will be developed. The developed models will be evaluated to determine their accuracy.
- A brief introduction to Hydrology and the Python programming language
- What is Hydrology?
- What is Python?
- Installing the necessary tools - setting up the Python development environment
- Jupyter Notebook and Anaconda (cell types in the Jupyter Notebook, introduction to the interface)
- Starting the first program (script)
- Strings (words, letters)
- Numbers (integes, floats, doubles)
- for loop
- while loop
- Line plots
- Scatter plots
- Bar plots
- Combined plots
- Linear regression
- Polynomial regression
- Decision Tree
- Evaluation methods – MSE, MAE, r2